Apple aims to be carbon neutral by 2030

Apple aims to be carbon neutral by 2030

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

To reach your goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2030, you will reduce your greenhouse gas pollution by 75 percent and then find ways to reduce the remaining 25 percent of your heat trapping emissions.

The company reduced its carbon dioxide emissions by 4.3 million metric tons in 2019, according to the 2020 Environmental Progress Report released today. That represents a 35 percent drop in absolute carbon dioxide emissions from the company's peak in 2015, a reduction it has achieved even as it sold more products. But it inevitably produced a large amount of carbon dioxide in 2019: 25.1 million metric tons, equivalent to six coal-fired power plants operating for one year.

Apple has been able to reduce its pollution of the planet by using recycled materials and improving the energy efficiency of its products. Its products use 73 percent less energy on average now than 11 years ago. Apple says its operations, including emissions from its facilities and business travel, became carbon neutral in April this year. In 2018, the company announced that it would purchase enough renewable energy to power its global operations.

It will be difficult for Apple to cut emissions by making its products, which accounted for 76 percent of its carbon footprint in 2019. To take on that challenge, the company is looking to work with suppliers that use renewable energy. It says it has committed to more than 70 suppliers to use only renewable energy for the production of Apple devices, the company estimates that it will reduce carbon dioxide emissions equivalent to taking 3 million cars off the road each year.

Apple is also confident that it can reduce the carbon dioxide that it is responsible for releasing into the atmosphere. But instead of investing in emerging technologies like some of its rivals, it has committed to working with environmental groups like Conservation International to protect and restore the forests and mangroves that naturally attract and store carbon dioxide.

Apple's commitment was inspired by climate targets set by Microsoft and Amazon. Microsoft became carbon neutral in 2012 and said in January it would become carbon negative, removing more greenhouse gases from the atmosphere than it emits, by 2030. It also pledged to invest $ 1 billion in technologies that will help it. to remove all the carbon dioxide produced since the company was founded.

Last year, Amazon set a goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2040. In June, it announced a new $ 2 billion fund to accelerate the development of technologies that will help companies reduce their carbon emissions. Despite its climate commitments, the company released 15 percent more carbon dioxide in 2019 than the previous year.

"Businesses have a great opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born out of our common concern for the planet we share," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement. "Climate action can be the foundation of a new era of innovative potential, job creation and lasting economic growth."

Video: Apple Vows to Be Carbon Neutral by 2030 (June 2022).


  1. Nochtli

    seeing what character of work

  2. Kellen

    I think that is the excellent idea.

  3. Travis

    What a good argument

  4. Brenden

    There is something in this. I will know, thank you very much for your help in this matter.

  5. Gumuro

    I think you are wrong. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.

Write a message